After decades in landlocked Kansas...
writer Susan Kraus now tries to spend 2-6 months of the year in places closer to oceans, preferably where the locals speak a different language.
In the last few years she has tracked penguins off the Chilean coast, zip-lined down a remote volcano (never again), danced in the streets of Ghent during their Flikken Festival and got carried away by a Fasching parade in Schweinfurt, Germany. She spent two weeks "In Search of the Perfect Waffle" in Belgium, swam with wild dolphins off Oahu, explored the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota and got naked with strangers in Baden-Baden. She did language school in Tlaquepaque... and then there was that incident with the bear in Denali. And if you've never heard of the Praia-fest on Terceira, a volcanic island in the Azores, where locals taunt bulls in village streets with umbrellas for summer entertainment... well, she has a few stories you might enjoy.
Sharing Her Travels through...
Just Some of her Awards
- Society of American Travel Writers ¬†(SATW)¬†Awards (Central States)
The Henry and Vera Bradshaw Memorial Award (2009) Top Writing Award. "Touched By Time."
The Henry and Vera Bradshaw Memorial Award (2008) Top Writing Award. "Paris Without the Jet-Lag Steals Her Heart."
(Winners of the top award for two consequtive years are not considered for the next five years... ¬†SATW ¬†rules. Susan will be eligible to compete again in 2014.)¬†
- 1st Place: Best Newspaper Article on Foreign Travel¬†(2009) "Touched By Time"
- 1st Place: Best Magazine Article on Past Three Meeting Sites¬†(2009) "Black Hills to Badlands‚Ä¶ It's All Good"¬†
- 1st Place: Best Travel Commentary¬†(2010)¬†
- 1st Place: Best Magazine Article on U.S. or Canada ‚Äď On Montreal¬†(2008) ¬†"Paris Without the Jet Lag Steals Her Heart."¬†