Susan Kraus, M.S.W., L.S.C.S.W.
A therapist for over three decades, a mediator for two...
and a writer since she first held a pencil.
She has written advice columns for women, too many self-help features to count, and published in Redbook, Ladies Home Journal, Family Fun and other magazines for women and families. She published dozens of book reviews in the Kansas City Star, Women's Review of Books, Journal of Feminist Family Therapy and the Journal of Social Work.
Her travel writing has appeared in Hemisphere's (United Airlines In-Flight), My Midwest (Midwest Airlines), Kaleidescope (Tokyo), Family Fun, Kansas!, San Franciso Chronicle, K.C. Star, Topeka Magazine, Lawrence Magazine, Sunflower Journeys... and more. She received the top writing award from Society of American Travel Writers (Central States) in both 2008 and 2009.
- 1st Place: SATW Central States How-to/Consumer Reporting (2017) "Reconsidering the Expat Life "
- 2nd Place: SATW Central States Magazine Article on International Destination (2017) "Five Trinidad Scenes"
- Society of American Travel Writers ¬†(SATW)¬†Awards (Central States)
The Henry and Vera Bradshaw Memorial Award (2009) Top Writing Award. "Touched By Time."
The Henry and Vera Bradshaw Memorial Award (2008) Top Writing Award. "Paris Without the Jet-Lag Steals Her Heart."
(Winners of the top award for two consequtive years are not considered for the next five years... ¬†SATW ¬†rules. Susan will be eligible to compete again in 2014.)¬†
- 1st Place: Best Newspaper Article on Foreign Travel¬†(2009) "Touched By Time"
- 1st Place: Best Magazine Article on Past Three Meeting Sites¬†(2009) "Black Hills to Badlands‚Ä¶ It's All Good"¬†
- 1st Place: Best Travel Commentary¬†(2010)¬†
- 1st Place: Best Magazine Article on U.S. or Canada ‚Äď On Montreal¬†(2008) ¬†"Paris Without the Jet Lag Steals Her Heart."¬†
- 2nd Place: Best Magazine Article on Foreign Travel¬†(2009) ¬†"Luxuries of a Little Luxembourg" (2009)
- 2nd Place: Best Travel "How To" or Consumer Reporting- Newspaper, Magazine or Website¬†(2011)¬†
- 2nd Place: Best Travel Commentary, Newspaper, Magazine or Website¬†(2008) ¬†"Getting Naked With Strangers"
- 3rd Place: Best Magazine Article on Foreign Travel¬†(2008) ¬†"Lowdown on that Long and Narrow Country.
- 3rd Place: Best Magazine Article on Foreign Travel¬†(2009) ¬†"Britain on a Budget"
- 3rd Place: Best Self-Illustrated Article¬†(2012) ¬†"Bula For Fiji
- 3rd Place: Best Article on Ecology, Conservation or Preservation¬†(2012) "Birds of a Feather"
- Honorable Mention: Best Marine Travel Article¬†(2009) ¬†"Steiner Who?
- Honorable Mention: Best Article on Past Three Meeting Sites¬†(2010) "Mexican Memory Upgrade"¬†
- Honorable Mention: Best Travel Article Featuring Past Meeting Sites¬†(2012) ¬†"Acadian Holiday"
1st Place: Kansas Voices Short Story Writing Competition (1999) ¬†"Isaac is Autistic"
Susan has graduate degrees...
... in both English (California State University at Chico) and Social Work (University of Texas at Austin), and taught at both universities. She did post-graduate training in marriage and family therapy at the Menninger Clinic. She was a co-founder of The Family Center for Childbirth and Family Life Education, and taught numerous workshops for couples and families. She taught at the University of Kansas School of Social Welfare (adjunct/graduate level) for 13 years.
Susan has a private practice...
... with a focus on relationship/marital/divorce issues, autism spectrum disorders, and "what do I do with the rest of my life" conundrums. She mediates divorce, custody, small business, multi-generational and inheritance issues and has taught mediation skills. For the past six years, Susan has also worked as a counselor with military members, couples and families on Army and Air Force bases in Germany, the Azores, Hawaii, Alaska, Kansas and Missouri. Susan has been married for 35 years, with a young adult daughter and son.